St. Mary’s College of Tagum, Inc. started as a Catholic high school in Tagum City. It was renamed into Holy Cross College in 1961. Teacher Education Program is one of the pioneering programs of the institution offering Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education and Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education in 1963 and assumed the name St. Mary’s College. On 1966, the first, second, and third year levels of BSE and BSEED received government recognition. On 1967, the school received government recognition for the fourth year levels of BSE and BSEED. The program is a PAASCU accredited Level II and it’s been in the service for 58 years and counting.
Goals and Objectives:
- Articulate the rootedness of education in philosophical, socio cultural, historical psychological, and political contexts;
- Demonstrate mastery of subject matter/discipline;
- Facilitate learning using a wide range of teaching methodologies and delivery modes appropriate to specific learners and their environments;
- Develop innovative curricula. instructional plans, teaching approaches, and resources for diverse learners;
- Apply skills in the development and utilization of ICT to promote quality relevant and sustainable educational practices;
- Demonstrate a variety of thinking skills in planning, monitoring assessing and reporting learning processes and outcomes;
- Practice professional and ethical teaching standards sensitive to the local national, and global realties; and
- Pursue lifelong learning for personal and professional growth through varied experiential and field-based opportunities.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES ( PEOs)
After finishing the four-year course in Education, the graduate is expected to:
- Embody the Ignacian Marian core values of faith, excellence and service in carrying out his/her sacred mission as a teacher following the teachings of Jesus Christ as the greatest teacher;
- Apply basic and higher level of knowledge and competence in research, communication, linguistics, numeracy, scientific and critical thinking skills needed for higher learning and transformative education;
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of educational theories, principles and processes relating to larger historical, social, cultural and political contexts for quality, relevant and sustainable educational practices;
- Apply wide range of content knowledge and pedagogical skills in curriculum development, lesson planning, instructional material development, utilization of ICT, employment of appropriate teaching strategies and educational assessment to diverse types of learners in various learning environments; and
- Practice the professional and ethical requirements of the teaching profession and adhere to continuous professional development in order to better fulfill his/her mission as a teacher.
- Professional teacher in either private or public school
- Book Writer
- Academic Researcher
- Competency Enhancement Program
- Intensified Competency Enhancement Program
- Post-Curriculum Enhancement Program
- Academic Consultation
- Top 1 September 2019 Board Licensure Exam for Professional Teachers
In September 2019, the BEED program placed as TOP 1 in the Licensure Exam for Teachers (LET) among the 28,973 of 92,440 who successfully passed the exam.
- Top 6 September 2018 Board Licensure Exam for Professional Teachers
In September 2018, the BSED-Mathematics program placed as TOP 6 in the Licensure Exam for Teachers (LET) among the 60,803 of 126,582 who successfully passed the exam.
- Top 10 September 2018 Board Licensure Exam for Professional Teachers
In September 2018, the BSED-Biological Science program placed as TOP 10 in the Licensure Exam for Teachers (LET) among the 60,803 of 126,582 who successfully passed the exam.
- 100% Passing Rate BEED September 2019 LET first-time takers
In September 2019, the BEED program marked a 100% above national passing rate for first-time LET takers in the Licensure Exam for Teachers (LET) against the 31.34% national passing rate.
- 100% Passing Rate BEED September 2019 LET first-time takers
In September 2019, the BSED program marked a 100% above national passing rate for first-time LET takers in the Licensure Exam for Teachers (LET) against the 39.68% national passing rate.
- International Multidisciplinary Research Conference
In August 2021, selected Teacher Education students successfully presented their research in the MADAYAW 4th INTERNATIONAL MULTIDISCIPLINARY VIRTUAL RESEARCH CONFERENCE with the theme “Conversations in the POST-COVID ERA: Lessons Learned and the Way Forward”.
- International Engagements of Students
- The Teacher Education program intensified and widened its repertoire of international engagement to all its students. In spite of the limitation of time and space in a virtual platform, the program is doing its best to provide and send students to international conferences, symposiums, and webinars that can holistically enhance their abilities and capacities as future Marian professional teachers and educational leaders.
- The SMCTI- Teacher Education Program was awarded a Certificate of Recognition as an International Partner University/ College to the University of the Immaculate Conception and Widya Mandala Surabaya Catholic University of Indonesia during the International Student Dialogue 2021 held on July 23-24, 2021 via Virtual Conference with the theme, “Embracing Language Diversity for a Sustainable and Inclusive Society.”
- In collaboration with the University of the Immaculate Conception, SMCTI – Teacher Education Program organized and facilitated the International Youth Week Fest 2021 last September 4 – 11, 2021. This event was participated by students of different universities from 20 countries like Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Pakistan, Nigeria. Selected teacher education students joined this week-long event and functioned as organizers and facilitators of the different activities like Voter’s Education Campaign, Educational Leadership and Cross-cultural expo. The said activity was also viewed by the teachers and other students in the program through Facebook live.
- Member of Philippine Association of Teachers and Educators (PAFTE)
- Member of RVM-TEI Network
- Facebook: facebook.com/smcteduc
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @SmctiTeacher